The Pomme de Terre Chapter of Muskies Inc. has youth & family day events throughout the year. Our chapter donates money to charitable youth-oriented entities and our members donate their time to provide fishing & life skills education to children across the state.
- The chapter donated $700 to the Youth Conservation Alliance to support its outdoor programs. The YCA places a major emphasis on teaching children about the environment through fishing activities. This is not only to ensure the future of family-oriented sports but also to provide kids with a tremendous opportunity for environmental education outside of the classroom. The kids learn how to read lake maps and are taught about boating safety and fishing regulations.
- Donated $3,500.00 to the Missouri Department of Conservation to help pay for a handicap-accessible fishing pier that was installed on Lake Pomme de Terre, Bolivar area.
- In 2015 the Chapter donated eight work tables to the Missouri Department of Conservation for use at the Bush Wildlife area. The tables are placed at a lake used strictly for public and children’s educational programs and more than 10,000 people will participate in these programs in 2015. Funds were provided by the Pomme de Terre Chapter of Muskies Inc and the Hugh C. Becker Foundation.
- A cooperative presentation from chapter members and the Missouri Department of Conservation concerning the MDC’s Discover Nature Fishing Lecture Series: Muskie Management and Fishing Techniques. MDC personnel spoke about Missouri’s musky management program and chapter members provided education on musky fishing.
- In October 2018, chapter member Wayne Humphrey made a presentation at Oakville High School in St Louis concerning the conservation activities of the Missouri Department of Conservation with regard to fishing and muskie stocking. Topics covered include: raising all types of fish for stocking purposes, maintaining habitat in lakes, spring netting for population monitoring, creel surveys for catch rate monitoring, and where to fish for muskies.
The chapter participates in sports shows across the state. Members donate their time to educate people by putting on seminars and providing educational literature to show participants.